Contents

Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1993
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6nz85tx
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324626
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx

Page Metadata

Title Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements
Description Mayfield settled in 1873. (Aaropeen, Arropine) When Manti was established, the distance southward was measured off and designated as Six-mile, Nine-Mile and Twelve-Mile. Here at the mouth of scenic, celebrated Twelve-Mile Canyon the little community of "Mayfield" was established, named after the natural beauty of fields of flowers in the month of May. Until this time the area was an Indian Farm Reservation known as "Arropeen," or "Arrapine Valley."19 Dover settled in 1875. Over the hills north of Gunnison, and around the "Point" on Highway 28, the horizon assumes an interesting oval shape. West of the Sevier River the landscape is dotted with farms showing where the community of "Dover" once existed.10 Clarion settled in 1911. Located west of Centerfield, this settlement was an effort by urban Jews, but failed by 1917 through the lack of water and agricultural skills. The word "Clarion" denotes the call of a trumpet, or any sound resembling it.11 Axtell settled in 1874. (Willowcreek) A small community on Highway 89, midway between Gunnison and Salina and just north of the boundary line between Sanpete and Sevier Counties, is "Axtell,"settled by farmers from Gunnison. First known as "Willowcreek" it was later named after Axel Einerson, an early settler.12 Christenburg settied in 1891. An early statement of water claims in relation to land reads, "'Christenburg' is situated in both Pettyville and Gunnison precincts." The valley lies east, north and south of Chalk Hill. It was so named after the Christensen brothers (Julius, Theodore and Titus) who first took up land here. The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad Depot was located here in 1891.a 99
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 111_Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324579
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx/324579