Contents

Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1993
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6nz85tx
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324626
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx

Page Metadata

Title Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements
Description The article written by Lillian Fox about names and name changes of towns in Sanpete County seems to fit the theme, 'Silver Sunsets.' Most names of existing towns in Sanpete County have been changed at least once. Some early towns, as well as mines, etc. .have faded away. This article is considered to be of sufficient historical importance to be included in this issue. NAMES OF SANPETE'S EARLY SETTLEMENTS Lillian Fox Non-Judged As we celebrate the 25th anniversary of our unique Saga of Sanpitch, it is interesting to recall the names of the early Sanpete settlements and find that many original names have faded away into the Silver Sunsets. Manti settled in 1849. (The Sanpitch, Sanpete Forts 1852, 1853,1854). When Indian Chief Walkara appeared in Salt Lake and asked Brigham Young to send settlers to the Sanpitch, there were no other white communities in all the territory of central Utah. The Sanpitch was a large area, boundary lines indefinite. The new settlement became known simply as "The Sanpitch" home of Chief Sanpitch and his followers. In 1850 Brigham Young named the new colony "Manti," a name found in the Book of Mormon and suggested by Isaac Morley. Brigham Young also changed the name "Sanpitch" to "Sanpete." Manti was a lone settlement for five years while forts were construcled for protection from the Indians. This area was then called "The Sanpete Forts."1 Ephraim settled in 1854. (Pine Creek, Cottonwood Creek, Fort Ephraim, Little Denmark) In 1852 Isaac Behunin drove his covered wagon to a lonely spot on "Pine Creek" and began a Mormon town. Here he built a dugout and claimed forty acres of land where he spent the winter with his wife and nine children. Toward the close of 1853, he moved to the Manti Forts due to Indian troubles. In 1854 some of the settlers went north to "Cottonwood Creek" (formerly Pine Creek) and built houses. This fort was known as "Fort Ephraim." Many Danes joined with them and the place was often called "Little 95
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 107_Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324575
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx/324575