Contents

Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1993
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6nz85tx
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324626
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx

Page Metadata

Title Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements
Description Wales settled in 1859 (Coalbed) This community, located south of Moroni by John E. Rees, was named after the Ute, Tabinaw, who showed him a vein of black stone and said, "Heap burn." Rees recognized it as a coal vein. In 1859 fifteen Welsh families settled there to dig coal. In 1866 Chief Blackhawk drove them out but, they returned later to continue digging. They changed the name from "Coalbed" to "Wales" after their homeland. In time they found farming to be more profitable." Pettyville settled in 1873. "Pettyville,"located two miles west of Sterling was settled by George Petty and fifteen families. The land was owned by the Indians and the group had only "Squatters' Rights." Homes were constructed of slate rock from nearby mountains. A road now goes through an old cemetery. In 1881 the people moved to Sterling.1* Sterling settled in 1872. (Six Mile Creek). Wiiliam D. Funk and Daniel B. Funk were the first white men to locate land claims in Sterling. They moved their families there from Manti, six miles away, and called the place "Six Mile Creek." Later the name was changed to Sterling because of the sterling qualities of the people.15 Gunnison settled in 1859. (Hog Wallow, Kearns Point, Chalk Point.) A parly led by Jacob Hutchinson settled the area they called "Chalk Point," and then "Kearns Point" just west of ihe present town of "Gunnison." It was later called "Hog Wallow,"due to the watery, soft ground. The name used today is in honor of Captain J.W.Gunnison, who lost his life with six of his men in 1853 when attacked by a band of Piutes." Fayette settled in 1860. (Warm Creek) Six miles northwest of Gunnison on Highway 28 lies "Fayette," first known as "Warm Creek" because of the warm spring one mile to the east. In I860 the name was changed lo Fayette, honoring the town in New York where the LDS Church was first organized. " Centerfield settled in 1877. (Skin Town) Gunnison was settled-but looking south across the Sanpitch River, a wide expanse of unclaimed valley came lo view. Finally water was brought to this area and a community gradually developed. It was known as "Skin Town" until later named "Centerfield" because of its central location.18
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 110_Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324578
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx/324578