Contents

Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1993
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6nz85tx
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324626
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx

Page Metadata

Title Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements
Description House.' In 1875 Richard Graham took up the first homestead and named the area Mil burn-' Indianola settled in 1873. (Thistle Valley, Indian Hollow). Located in the northern end of Sanpete County, this was the home of a tribe of Ute Indians and called "Indian Hollow" by the settlers. Early colonists of Fairview and Mt. Pleasant used the valley for summer pasture and livestock and called it 'Thistle Valley." Later the name was changed to "Indianola" to recognize the Indians.* Mountainville settled in 1886. "Mountainville" was located on the north end of Sanpete County and on the west slope of the mountain range. Caratat Roe was one of the first settlers. Farm lands were acquired under the Homestead Act, and water rights incorporated under direction of Apostle Orson Hyde. The school closed in 1920 and children were transported to Mt. Pleasant by a bobsleigh.' Fountain Green settled in 1S59. (Uinta Springs). "Fountain Green," located 28 miles north of Manti, was a favorite camping grounds for travelers going to Salt Lake form Manti and was then known as "Uinta Springs." Clear springs of water flowed eastward from the west hills. George W. Johnson was called from Santaquin to start a colony known as "Fountain Green."'0 Moroni settled in 1859. (Sanpitch, Mego, Little Rome, Duck Springs). In 1859 a party from Nephi led by George Washington Bradley, selected this location for a colony in the lowlands along the Sanpitch River. Originally, it was called "Sanpitch," for the local Chief of the Utes, then called "Mego"after another Indian. Later the place was called "Duck Springs* because of so many lowland springs. When homes were built on the seven hills people called it "Little Rome." The name of "Moroni" finally became official, derived from the Book of Mormon." Chester settled in 1877. (The Bottoms, Chesterfield). This small farming co nun unity between Ephraim and Moroni was once known as "The Bottoms" because it is a green bottomland meadow. David Candland named it "Chesterfield" after his home in England. The U.S. Post Office shortened the name to "Chester" in 1877.'2 97
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 109_Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324577
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx/324577