Contents

Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1993
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6nz85tx
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324626
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx

Page Metadata

Title Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements
Description Denmark." In due time the name "Ephraim" was adopted, a Biblical name.2 Manasseh "There was an Ephraim, so there was also Manasseh." In the day of naming, "Manasseh" was a land of greasewood and shadscales, skirting the foot hills, across the Sanpitch and west of Ephraim. A few families living there were self-supporting. In the Bible- "Manasseh" was a son of Joseph, tribe of Israel.' Spring Cit.v settled in 1859. (Canal Creek, Allred Settlement, Little Copenhagen, Spring Town.) In 1852 Brigham Young asked James Allred to take sons and their families and settle the area known as "Canal Creek." In time this became known as the "Allred Settlement." Then forty families of Danish converts were sent to join the Allred Settlement and the name to "Little Copenhagen." This name proved inappropriate, so it was changed to "Spring Town" because of a spring that flowed in the line of traffic. Due to Indian troubles, the settlement was abandoned and the people moved to Fort Manti for protection. In 1859 many of them moved back lo reestablish the colony and the name of "Spring City" became official. (4) Mountain Pleasant settled in 1SS9. (Hambleton, Pleasant Creek.) In 1859 many Danish immigrants who had come to Fort Ephraim, decided that "Pleasant Creek" was a suitable location for a new colony. They presented Brigham Young with a petition signed by sixty Sanpete men, and Brigham Young consented, providing they would build a fort and live in it. The new colony was named after Madison D. Hambleton but later changed to "Pleasant Creek" and then to "Mount Pleasant."' Fairview settled in 1859. (North Bend). The tract of land six miles north of Mountain Pleasant and below the mouth of Cottonwood Canyon was settled on request of Warren P. Brady and John Cox with permission from Brigham Young. James N. Jones was chosen to lead the company. The townsite of "North Bend" changed its name to "Fairview" in 1864.* Mil bum settled in 1875. (Dry Creek, Herd House). Milbum is situated six miles north of Fairview (elevation 6400 ft.) and at the far north end of Sanpete. Due to lack of water it was known as "Dry Creek." For a number of years it was used as a herd ground for the people of Fairview and was known as "Herd 96
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 108_Names of Sanpete's Early Settlements.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324576
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx/324576