Contents

Early History-Business-Industries in Our Town

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1993
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6nz85tx
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324626
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx

Page Metadata

Title Early History-Business-Industries in Our Town
Description active place, and Mr. Samuels was interesting to watch. His shop was operated from about 1890-1920. Two smaller shops were believed in operation a period later: the Bert Hansen's, in the south west part of town, near the Wiley Lane, in operation about 1920-30; and the Jacobson Shop, of which little is known, but thought to be located near 300 South 100 West. The latest and best-known blacksmith shop was the Peter Clinton Oldroyd shop, on Main Street, south of the Despain home. The shop was built about 1910 and served the public until 1934. It was built by the father, Peter Oldroyd, for Clint just after his marriage to Sarah Agnes Draper. This couple now have two living children, Mable Walker, and Loujean Anderson. One son, Lowell, and one daughter, llene, are deceased, as are the parents. Booth Cook made this statement: "Clint was an expert blacksmith, and kept very busy helping farmers and sheepmen with their equipment, keeping all in prime condition, as well as providing many jobs for adults and children alike, who were in need of that kind of help. He could repair all kinds of machinery, and invent some odds and ends of smaller equipment.' THE SAWMILL AND FLOURMILL: About 1865, Bernard Snow built the first sawmill,and in 1867, the first flourmill. This mill was burned down in 1871, and about 1890 a new mill was built. Those involved in the new mill were A.J. Aagard, Lewis Anderson, Ole Sorensen, James Yorgason, and others. For many years, the flour was shipped to many markets throughout Utah . . . considered the best flour, so it was a profitable business. Niels Hansen, known as "MILLER HANSEN" due to his work, bought the Fountain Green mill in 1904 and ran it until 1918, when he was sixty years of age. He sold the mill and went to work for the D and RGW Railroad as a station watchman and express agent. He was also a coal dealer. Mr. Hansen was born in Enslev Koltd, Denmark in 1858 and came to Utah July 5, 1880. At the present time he has three grandchildren living in Fountain Green: Hyrum Dee Hansen, Beth Anderson, and Rachel Syme. HOTELS: Hotels and meals were much needed at this time, and Fountain Green supported three hotels, all of which are standing today. 72
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 084_Early History-Business-Industries in Our Town.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 25
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324547
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6nz85tx/324547