Contents

The Ephraim Relief Society Granary The Central Utah Art Center

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 28
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6m043j1
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 326790
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6m043j1

Page Metadata

Title The Ephraim Relief Society Granary The Central Utah Art Center
Description In 1919 the Presiding Bishopric recommended that the wheat interest be centered with them, to be used solely for maternal and child welfare purposes. This was readily agreed upon. In December 1957 the Presiding Bishopric recommended that the wheat income be signed over to the Relief Society General Board to be judicially used as a benefit for the Relief Societies, worldwide. The sisters realized the need, and despite their dependency upon this income, and with encouragement from their Stake Presidents, heeded the counsel and signed the agreement. The Ephraim Cooperative Mercantile Association ceased functioning in "1901?" following bankruptcy proceedings. The Relief Society also closed the Granary doors. Thus the memorable years of gleaning, sowing, storing, and selling the golden grain came to a close. The sisters garnered the grain and the brethren made possible the fruitation of the inspired plan in the construction of this valuable building. During floods in the spring of 1913, Mr. Hermansen's Climax Mill machinery was knocked off balance. After the flood, it was not considered feasible to restore the mill at its present site. The Relief Society Granary was vacant and available, and was obtained as the new location. Niels (Nels) Hermansen. son of Marcus, moved the machinery out of the Climax and placed it in the "new" building. Power for the mill was changed to electricity. When the mill equipment was in place. Nels operated it until his father could assume possession of the business on January 1, 1915. At that time, the name of the mill was changed to Ephraim Roller Mill. Mr. Hermansen erected an addition on the north side to accommodate the growing business. He manufactured flour, cereals, and various animal and poultry feeds until his retirement. A ground-level commercial scale was located near the building and was frequently used by area farmers. In later years, Mr. Hermansen's youngest son, Lawrence, managed the operation when his father retired. He added more storage space in the Co-op building, which at that time was completely connected to the granary. During the late 1950's, technology changed the flour and feed business, and the Ephraim Roller Mill closed its doors. The Bank of Ephraim took possession of both buildings in 1954. 20
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 029_The Ephraim Relief Society Granary The Central Utah Art Center.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 28
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 326769
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6m043j1/326769