Contents

The Ephraim Relief Society Granary The Central Utah Art Center

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 28
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6m043j1
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 326790
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6m043j1

Page Metadata

Title The Ephraim Relief Society Granary The Central Utah Art Center
Description The Ephraim Relief Society Granary The Central Utah Art Center Virginia K. Nielson Senior Second Place Historical Essay A challenging assignment was given to the Relief Society members in 1876 by President Brigham Young. This was to store grain. He urged all those along the Mormon Corridor "to enter heart and soul" into this project, to enable them to be prepared in time of need. These industrious women were deeply involved with their families and other duties, but they heeded the call and further extended themselves. A few granaries were erected for this plan. Most of the storage took place in a farmer's granary or in the bishop's farm buildings Ephraim's granary, erected specifically for grain storage, was completed about 1877. This historic, oolite limestone building is devoid of ornamentation except for an artistic wood and metal cupola atop its steep roof. The entrance is on the west side and a north entrance once opened onto a platform that led to a wood and brick shed used for storage. A chute, on the lower northwest area, carried grain to the basement where it was transported, by manpower, to the storage bins. Pioneer women and children followed the harvesters to glean the leavings in their baskets or aprons. At times, mothers carried infants on their backs during this task. This precious harvest was used to sustain the families during seasons of drought, frost or grasshopper scourge. The grain holdings grew continuously. The Relief Society visiting teachers requested wheat donations during their visits and grain was purchased through sales of homemade, or home-grown, items. The wheat was "turned over" by selling, or loaning it, to the farmers. The loan was repaid with five bushels returned for each four bushels given. Grain was given to the Bishop to assist the needy. When wheat was sold, Wheat Fund Certificates were issued to the Relief Society. The money received was placed in the bank and interest was paid once a year. Some of the women, perhaps, hoped to use this income to purchase bonnets or other finery, but all soon seriously accepted this program as a mission call. Sanpete became 18
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 027_The Ephraim Relief Society Granary The Central Utah Art Center.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 28
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 326767
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6m043j1/326767