Contents

A Glimpse of Fairview Through the Eyes of a Special Pioneer Woman

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 28
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6m043j1
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 326790
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6m043j1

Page Metadata

Title A Glimpse of Fairview Through the Eyes of a Special Pioneer Woman
Description 1866, just one year after the end of the Civil War. Andrew Johnson was President of the United States. Charles Durkee was the Governor of the Territory of Utah. The town of Fairview was just six and a half years old when the Pritchett family arrived in the spring of 1866. That wasn't the best year to come to Fairview as the settlers had moved to Mt. Pleasant that spring for protection against the Indians. However, in August they moved back home. Two years after Mary Ann arrived in Fairview, Bishop Amasa Tucker called her to be Fairview's first Relief Society President. There was just one ward in town. Along with her duties as a wife and mother and Relief Society President, Mary Ann was a weaver and midwife. She was on call day or night, winter or summer, to help bring babies into the world. She had to walk or saddle up a horse to make her calls as there were no automobiles. In the harsh environment of those early days, she no doubt saw much sickness and tragedy along with the joyful times. She saw so many things: She saw the toll gate at Fairview Canyon. Hans T. Cariston had discovered coal in Huntington Canyon and had built a road up Fairview Canyon to his mine. The toll charge was 50 cents for a team and 25 cents for horseback. Tons of coal that were brought out of the canyon helped supply heat for the residents of Fairview and Sanpete County. She saw homes of every kind being built-log houses, adobe houses, and, later, frame and fine brick homes. She saw the three creameries in town that provided many farmers with a paycheck. Fairview was called 'The Holstein City." and she often saw the farmers in the fields irrigating, cutting or harvesting their crops to provide feed for their cattle. She saw the blacksmith shop, the roller mills, the mercantile stores, the Pavilion, the three-chair barber shop, the milliner's shop, the Social Hall, and the Reading Room. Surely, Mary Ann was at Fairview's rock meeting house when it was dedicated in 1871. It was located at lot 4 Blk 10 (100 south Main Street). The Fairview school house was also built of rock. It was located at 100 East 100 South. Fairview always had a wealth of school children, and the children had competent teachers. Dramas and entertainments that she enjoyed were held in the School House, the 58
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 067_A Glimpse of Fairview Through the Eyes of a Special Pioneer Woman.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 28
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 326686
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6m043j1/326686