Contents

Sanpete 1896-1996

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 28
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6m043j1
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 326790
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6m043j1

Page Metadata

Title Sanpete 1896-1996
Description The next settlements were Mt. Pleasant in 1851, Spring City in 1852 [rebuilt in 1859). Ephraim in 1854, Fountain Green in 1859, Fairview in 1959, Moroni in 1859, Wales in 1859, Gunnison in 1859, Chester in 1860, Centerfield in 1860, Fayette 1861: then in 1871 lndianola. Mayfield 1873. Sterling 1873, Axtell 1874 Milburn 1888; and after 1896, Clarion in 1910. There were other settlements started, but for one reason or another they were vacated or burned out. Sites were selected where forts could be built and water was obtainable. Schools were set up using the McGuffey Reader with its five-book series. Teachers were hired who had no formal training, but they were required to take the county exam. In some settlements, the only books they had were what the settlers had brought with them. In 1890 the L.D.S. Seminary equal to grades 7, 8, and 9 was added. In 1896 Sanpete County had good schools, with classes for people to learn to read and write the English language. The church did not approve of any language except the English language being used for fear of misunderstandings. Speaking anything besides English in public was punished. As a result, the other languages were forgotten. In 1870 lot owners made a record of ownership and were issued deeds. The U.S. Land Office was established with a county clerk in Manti. County surveyor Ed Fox laid out the townsite; participants received an "inheritance" of land based on need. They were also assigned a place to graze livestock outside of town. Each lot had equal terrain. As more immigrants arrived, the church ordered some families to divide their land, which had already been cultivated and planted. This caused some problems with some of the earlier families giving up and leaving. The Bishop's word was law. Water was a necessity. There was good surface water and there were artesian wells in the area above Ephraim and on north. That is how Spring City got its name. The canyons in Sanpete were too steep to make a single reservoir feasible behind one dam. Funk's Lake, above Sterling, now Palisade Park, had rock basted to create the waterway. Water came from a spring and from the Morrison mine. It was a resort and was in use In 1896. 30
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 039_Sanpete 1896-1996.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 28
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 326759
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6m043j1/326759