Contents

Ephraim's Pioneer Cemetery

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 09
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1977
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6df6pc6
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324900
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6df6pc6

Page Metadata

Title Ephraim's Pioneer Cemetery
Description Every person buried in Ephraim from its settlement in 1854 to 1903 was interred in the Pioneer Cemetery. After the dedication of the Park Cemetery only a very few corpses were transferred. Thereafter, all burials, with a few ex-ceptions, were in the Park Cemetery. Many persons continued to think about the old Pioneer Cemetery and did not want to leave it to deteriorate. The "diehards" said, "Let us give it just one more try." This time pine trees, with enough soil on each root to make a wagonload, were hauled from the east mountains. Each tree was placed in a hole about six feet in diameter by three feet deep. The hole was then filled with dirt and the trees were irrigated. To the surprise of everyone, nearly every tree grew and today (1977) they are very much alive. Black willow trees were planted along the west fence, south of the entrance along the head-ditch of the adjacent farm. When the irrigation on the farm discontinued most of the trees died. Siberian elms now grow to the north of the entrance. They were planted about 1940. About 25 years ago, Joseph E. Olsen, St. George, Utah, in a gesture to improve the beauty of the Pioneer Cemetery bought the very best of trees and shrubs only to find they were not adaptable to this particular environment. In 1889, Ephraim City minutes state, "All brush grubbed and burned. Graveyard fence repainted." Today the brush are grubbed and burned almost annually, but the fence has not been painted since 1902. The last burial in the Pioneer Cemetery, to my know-ledge, was in 1950. This was a stranger who had been in Ephraim for just a few days. He committed suicide and was buried on the north side of the cemetery, west of all the visible graves. Pete (Bishop) Peterson preached the funeral sermon which he entitled "Some Unknown Mother's Unknown Son." Perhaps we could say that this sermon was the dedicatory prayer for this cemetery, for today his grave is "unknow" as are so many in Ephraim's Pioneer Cemetery. Sources: 1Sanpete Development statistics -95-
Format application/pdf
Identifier 105_Ephraim's Pioneer Cemetery.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 9
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324810
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6df6pc6/324810