Contents

Ephraim's Pioneer Cemetery

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 09
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1977
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6df6pc6
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324900
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6df6pc6

Page Metadata

Title Ephraim's Pioneer Cemetery
Description EPHRAIM'S PIONEER CEMETERY John K. Olsen Ephraim, Utah Senior Division First Place Tie Historical Essay Ephraim's old Pioneer Cemetery was located where it is because of an Indian attack. The day was late in March, 1854, during the Walker War. A few heavy wagons were in a funeral procession taking the body of Mane Warring, the first white man to die in Ephraim, to the then abandoned Spring City Cemetery for interment. Because of this alert, the corpse was buried somewhere in the north part of what has become the Ephraim Pioneer Cemetery, which is located two miles north of Ephraim, west of Highway 89. Here the land slopes gently to both south and west. The soil is fine impervious clay, very hard when dry and almost impassable when wet. From 1854 to 1859 the population of Ephraim was a cos-mopolitan group of people: those who meant to stay, those bent on returning to Mt. Pleasant, Spring City, etc., and those "just waiting" with no destination in mind. During this period the residents divided the land near Ephraim. The graveyard and the adjacent land, now known as Gobblefield, were classified as "not worth dividing." Time proved they were right. However, 24 five-acre lots a short distance west northwest of the graveyard were set apart to be irrigated by waters from Pigeon Hollow. By 18601 there were about 35 miles of pole fences in the Ephraim precinct, yet the Pioneer graveyard was never fenced with poles. Instead it remained public domain during this early period. A few cemetery lots were enclosed with picket fences and in almost every instance the gate was padlocked to keep people "out." The Pioneer Cemetery plus about four acres immediately to the south were fenced with some of the first and most artistic barbed wire fences ever built in Sanpete County. Peeled cedar posts with their tops beveled at five feet above the ground were spaced about eight feet apart. A one by four inch (1x4) board was nailed onto the beveled post and a simi- -92-
Format application/pdf
Identifier 102_Ephraim's Pioneer Cemetery.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 9
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324807
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6df6pc6/324807