I Remember Grandma

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 06
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1974
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s65x272x
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-26
Date Modified 2005-02-26
ID 324158
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s65x272x

Page Metadata

Title I Remember Grandma
Description homes in the Rocky Mountains before winter set in. Here they built handcarts of green wood. This enabled hundreds of immigrants who had no money for travel by other means to make the trek to Zion. Seventeen pounds of clothing was alloted to each person. Although Brigham Young had warned the Saints not to leave so late in the sea-son, these poverty-stricken people had little or no choice. The last two handcart companies left in July--The James G. Willie Company on July 15; The Edward Martin Company with its 756 persons on July 28. Hannah and her family were included in the Martin Company. Captain B. Hodgett, traveling with an ox team, was told to remain behind the two companies in case they needed help. The companies traveled along the North Platte River, but Hodgett eventually got ahead of the Martin Com-pany which was strung out for miles when early storms slowed them down. Not nearly enough clothing had been alloted to keep the people warm. Had it not been for Franklin D. Richards and other returning missionaries who were traveling by horse teams and who passed the suffering companies and purchased buffalo robes from them in Laramie, Wyoming probably fewer would have survived the ordeal. As it was, approximately 40 per cent of the Martin Company perished from exposure, starvation, and disease. When Richards arrived in Salt Lake, he informed Brigham Young of the desperate straits of these late companies. Brigham, in the midst of his October conference, adjourned it quickly, so he could get help to the hapless victims. The Willie Company was found first. Half of the rescuers remained with this group and half proceded to find the Martin Company. Snowbound, with almost no food, their handcarts falling apart, the Martin Com-pany had given up looking for help when Joseph A. Young and Stephen Taylor, two scouts sent ahead of the relief wagons, spotted the tragic survivors. Their coming could only be interpreted as a miracle from heaven. Women fell on their knees and kissed the feet of their deliverors and men became delirious in the sheer ecstasy of their rescue. With their clothing in rags, their feet bruised and bleeding, and some with feet frozen to the knees or so weak they could not walk, the people waited to be taken in their wagons. In one of her rare conversations about the ordeal, Hannah revealed that some of the members had eaten their own fingers and sucked the blood. When a burial took place, no one looked back, for most bodies were simply buried in snowdrifts and the wolves had found them before the Saints had traveled a block, she said. Since women, children, and the elderly and sick were taken first, Hannah and her family were taken before her father. As she kissed him goodbye, she expected to see him very soon, but 0le Madsen's hours on earth were numbered. That same night he died of exposure and strain and was buried in a shallow grave by the trail, along with twelve other souls who perished with him. Hannah, her widowed mother, and three small children were thus left to make their way alone in a strange land. Hannah was now sixteen years old. She and her sister were able to obtain jobs doing housework in Salt Lake City where Hannah soon met a young Massachusetts con- -5-
Format application/pdf
Identifier 015_I Remember Grandma.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 6
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324118
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s65x272x/324118