Historical Review of Wales Cole Mines

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 06
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1974
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s65x272x
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-26
Date Modified 2005-02-26
ID 324158
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s65x272x

Page Metadata

Title Historical Review of Wales Cole Mines
Description and that he knew a man in Manti, John Price, that was an experienced miner and also had tools to work with. These two men were given special mission to go with Tabiona to prospect for coal. A few days later, they set out in wagon with the Indian. They traveled to the canyons on the west side of the valley. Near the mouth of one canyon was a large grove of cedar trees. Here, without any warning, Tabiona sprang from the wagon and disappeared. The men continued on foot. They had not gone far when John Rees noticed small pieces of coal in the bottom of the canyon. About a mile or so farther, they came upon Tabiona sitting on his vein of coal. He did not want the white men to touch the black rock and disturb his beautiful canyon. After much talk, he agreed to sell the coal for a few head of cattle and some sheep. The men dug a dugout in the soft surface coal and began their work. At this time, there was not much sale for the coal but President Young advised them to continue to operate. Then when Johnston's army located at Camp Floyd, they sent wagons for coal and paid for it with gold. In 1859, a number of Welsh Saints were directed to what was now known as Coalbed to help develop the mines. During the years that followed, there was much trouble with Indians. At the close of the Black Hawk War in 1868, the Indians finally signed a treaty of peace so the people continued to dig coal. In 1872, John Rees, John Price, Daniel Lewis, and Richard Price sold the mines. The ex-postmaster of Salt Lake City, John T. Lynch and C.C. Perkins organized a com-pany to operate the mines and make coke. Twelve coke ovens were built and expen-sive crushing and washing machinery was installed. At this time, the mines employed nearly two hundred men. Although this coal was excellent for forge work, the expense of removing the rock proved unprofitable, and the new company failed. Ex-governor Bamberger went to England and interested English capital in these mines. A new company was formed in 1875, to continue operation, the Central Pacific Coal Co. This company arranged for a branch line of railroad to extend from Nephi to the mines in order to ship the coal to market. Until this time, the coal had been freighted in wagons. The depot was built about one fourth mile south of town, a company store was erected near the depot. The miners would draw the major portion of their wages in merchandise from this store. To honor the land from which many of them had come, they changed the name of their settlement to Wales at a session of the county court in Manti on September 6, 1869. However, the mines proved unprofitable when a better grade of coal was dis-covered in other parts of Utah, and operations discontinued. For a number of years various local men leased the mines and operated for local markets. Eventually work ceased, and the abandoned mines were sold for taxes. January 18, 1907, Henry R. Thomas bought the mines from the county and again local people would lease the mines and furnish coal for surrounding areas. About 1917, a man named Emnott Annus and his father leased the coal with option to buy. Then followed the bringing in of machinery and water pumps. For several months much coal was sold. Some days as many as 125 mine cars a day. -10-
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 020_Historical Review of Wales Cole Mines.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 6
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324114
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s65x272x/324114