John Hassler - Pioneer Musician of Central Utah

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 08
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1976
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6rr1wdf
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-26
Date Modified 2005-02-26
ID 325605
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title John Hassler - Pioneer Musician of Central Utah
Description him and his horse in a group of pine trees, the horse not hitched and nibbling on the pine boughs, while Hassler was curled up in his blanket to keep warm. The storm was so severe and the weather so cold that he had practically given up hope of being rescued. On another ocassion, Hassler became stranded in a blizzard near Thistle when returning from Provo to Mount Pleasant. With him was one William Nolan, who was returning from Eureka. Mr. Nolan contracted pneumonia and died from the cold and exposure of this trip. Hassler, at times, would return home with frozen hands and feet. Hassler was very sensitive to pitch. If anyone played or sang in discord, the offending one was told about it immediately. He had bells for his domestic animals, which he filed so they harmonized in the form of a chord. So even the cows had to be in tune. Songbirds were always kept in the Hassler home. He was a great lover of birds. If their plumage was too dull, he painted them; and if their song was not pretty he disposed of them. In Hassler's time, music was not as accessible as it is today, and he was obliged to write each copy of the music for his bands and choir by hand. He brought reams of music note-paper from Switzerland, and he would sit up night after night copying the music he was short of. In those days, they had no duplicating machines as we do now. Mr. Hassler filled a mission for his Church to his native Switzerland in 1880. While on his mission, he translated many of the church hymns from English into the German language and taught these hymns to the saints in that mission. In 1871, two years after Hassler migrated to Utah, he became sick with typhoid fever. In those days the church auth-orities often rebaptized the saints for their health. So Hassler was taken to a pond in the cold of winter and rebap-tized, which nearly proved fatal. He took intense chills and became critically ill, partly if not wholly, from the effects of the cold water. He lay on his back for so long that bed sores and infection developed. He insisted that Mrs. Hassler take his razor and remove the infection. In doing so, she -67-
Format application/pdf
Identifier 077_John Hassler - Pioneer Musician of Central Utah.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 8
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2021-05-06
ID 325557
Reference URL