Contents

The Year was 1853

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 23
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1991
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6sq8xj8
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324501
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6sq8xj8

Page Metadata

Title The Year was 1853
Description Bluff was named after fur trapper Hiram Scott. In late October, 1828, Scott had been sent on a trading expedition by General William Ashley. When they reached this area, Scott became very ill and unable to ride a horse. His companions had two choices, stay and die with Scott or continue without him. They abandoned Scott at the bluffs. His bones were found by fur trappers years later, Hence the name Scotts Bluff. On August 17, 1853, in close proximity to Chimney Rock, the wagon train pulled into a circle, oxen were unhitched, and preparations made for the nicht. Guards were posted, as was never far from mind. This night, James and Sarah had Chimney Rock (Courtesy Lois Kribs) more immediate concerns. Their son, James Chadwick Tooth was about to be born. Fires were made, water boiled, clean cloths and blankets made ready, but before James Chadwick made his entrance into the world the awful cry of "fire" was heard. The wagon next to them had caught fire. Frantic was attended by a Dr. Allen who was among the'immigrants 42
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 058_The Year was 1853.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 23
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324492
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6sq8xj8/324492