Contents

Sanpete Oolite

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 23
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1991
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6sq8xj8
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324501
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6sq8xj8

Page Metadata

Title Sanpete Oolite
Description Governor Blood was already living in the Kearns house when it opened officially in August of 1938. Later, Gover-nor Lee thought the building too grand and a burden on the state. The Utah State Historical Society occupied the buiJ-ding until Oov&rnor Matheson requested that it ogam be occupied the Kearns building and saw workmen on scaffolds cleaning the exterior walls. Oolite absorbs soot and loses structure might be two hundred thousand dollars. out crop pings or the stone on the north and south sides of Temple Hill. A small amount of oolite was obtained from the Ephraim quarry. The overburden at the Temple site was used ror Duild^ns three tweAvp-ioot -h1 sh wai.-Is that ex- west entrance. These walls were removed in 1910. Other oolite buildings at Manti were the Tabernacle, the South Ward Assembly Hall, the Presbyterian Chapel and school, and the John McAllister home. The beautiful Sanpete County Courthouse was built by the WPA during the Depression. An oolite quarry at Spring City was operated for a time been a successful quarryman in his homeland, but tastes in building inaterials changed and oolite was expensive. He However, oolite had played a part in the economy of Sanpete at a time when real money was scarce, and it had provided needed jobs. 51
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 067_Sanpete Oolite.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 23
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324464
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6sq8xj8/324464