||3. John Parry * John Parry John Parry, the first conductor of the Tabernacle Choir in Salt Lake City, was born February 10, 1789, at Newmarket, Flintshire, England, a son of Bernard Parry and Elizabeth Saunders. He came to Utah in 1849, and became leader of the choir in the old Bowery, the first meeting place of the pioneers. Under his direction the choir continued to render service when the old Tabernacle was completed in 1852. Elder Parry continued his leadership until 1854, when he was called on a mission to Great Britain. For many years he was a member of the High Council of the Salt Lake Stake. John Parry died in 1868 in Salt Lake City. (Deseret News, May 20, 1916.). THE GUIDING UGHTS 349' Stephen Goddard Stephen Goddard, the second conductor of the Tabernacle Choir in Salt Lake City, was born August 24, 1810, in Clinton County, New York, a son of Stephen O. and Sylvia Smith Goddard. Ke succeeded Eider John Parry as conductor in 185'+ He held this position until 1856, when he was succeeded by James Smithies. Stephen Goddard became the owner of property on Main Street, Salt Lake City, located on the corner of First South Street, known later as the Godbe-Pitts corner and now occupied by the Montgomery-Ward department store. Brother Goddard died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Harrison, at San Bernardino, California, September 10, 1898. (Deseret News, September 17; 1898.) '¦ fames Smithies James Smithies, the third conductor of the Tabernacle Choir in Salt Lake City, was born in 1810, in Lancashire, England, a son of Richard Smithies and Mary Robinson, and came to Utah in October, 1847. Brother Smithies served as leader of the choir from 1856 to 1862. At one time the only musical instruments available in Salt Lake City were a bass violin and two or three smaller ones. Brother Smithies played the bass violin and sang the air while he pla/ed. James Smithies died in Salt Lake City, June 21, 1879. (Deseret News, July 31, 1879).