uu_fitzgerald2_p022

Request archival file or update item information
Title Fitzgerald Famly Stories
Personal Names Fitzgerald, John W., 1907-1998
Creator Fitzgerald, John W., 1907-1998
Date Digital 2004-06-24
Type Text; Image
Format image/jpeg
Format Creation Scanned at 300 dpi on Epson Expression 1640 XL flatbed scanner. Files saved as uncompressed TIFF. Resized to 1000 pixel-width JPEG images with Photoshop CS.
Language eng
Rights Management Digital Images copyright 2004, Univerity of Utah. All rights reserved.
Scanning Technician Charles Nielson
Metadata Cataloger Charles Nielson
ARK ark:/87278/s6k0727d
Setname uum_jwfc
Date Created 2005-09-12
Date Modified 2017-09-11
ID 204348
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6k0727d

Page Metadata

Title uu_fitzgerald2_p022
Description r. Perry Fitzgerald went into polygamy when he married Agnes Wadsworth 23 March 1853. She was born 29 July 1836 in Manchester, England and was 2.6 years old, when she married Perry. They had thirteen children a large lamily indeed. When Perry arrived in South Willow Creek there were only five families living there. Perry built a three room log cabin which is still standing along the road going east toward the mountains where the railroad tracks cross the- road. This is where the old pioneer road from Salt Lake came into South Willow Creek. By the end of 1852 there were twenty families living in South Willow Creek. The settlers had to go into the canyons.of Big and Little Willow to get their logs for their cabins and barns. The old log slide can still be seen on the mountain between Little and Big Willow. This was not an easy task. Much is written about the families living in the Old Fort. When Indian troubles broke out in 1852+. There was an old Indian trail which ran along the foothills east of Draper south to Utah County. The Indians wouldn't go up Little Cottonwood Canyon, it was'bad medicine'they said. The Indians were stealing some of the stock and on one occasion they stole 100 head of horses from Brother Nail's herd near Warm Springs south of Draper. The fort was built or rather partially built as part of one wall was nev<*r finished. The fort was built on the present old meeting house block. Nearly all of the settlers in South Willow or Draperville, as it was now being called, moved into the Fort and stayed during the winters of 185^-56. Perry was one of those who moved into it and had his cabin in the southeast corner, where his wife Ann Wilson Fitzgerald had a store. A branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints was established in Sept. 1852. William Draper was sustained as the presiding Elder. The first religious services had been held in the homes. Later a small adobe building was built in the Fort. It was used for all public meetings,scholastic, religious and social, in 1856 Perry was ordained a High Priest. After the Indian troubles were over Perry moved back to his cabin east of the Fort. He later built a brick home east of the old log cabin which he then used as a barn. This old barn and other sheds that Perry built are being torn down to make way for a road to some homes being built to the south.
Format image/jpeg
Setname uum_jwfc
Date Created 2005-09-12
Date Modified 2005-09-12
ID 204332
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6k0727d/204332