uu_fitzgerald2_p033

Request archival file or update item information
Title Fitzgerald Famly Stories
Personal Names Fitzgerald, John W., 1907-1998
Creator Fitzgerald, John W., 1907-1998
Date Digital 2004-06-24
Type Text; Image
Format image/jpeg
Format Creation Scanned at 300 dpi on Epson Expression 1640 XL flatbed scanner. Files saved as uncompressed TIFF. Resized to 1000 pixel-width JPEG images with Photoshop CS.
Language eng
Rights Management Digital Images copyright 2004, Univerity of Utah. All rights reserved.
Scanning Technician Charles Nielson
Metadata Cataloger Charles Nielson
ARK ark:/87278/s6k0727d
Setname uum_jwfc
Date Created 2005-09-12
Date Modified 2017-09-11
ID 204348
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6k0727d

Page Metadata

Title uu_fitzgerald2_p033
Description This census indicates that Thomas Williams daughter Mary has died, also his son Reuben. Nothing is known of Elizabeth either. She was perhaps also dead by this time. The family of John Parry and Mary Williams Parry also lived on the farm at Ochr y Gop. In 18^6 they moved to Birkenhead, England about 15 miles straight north. Todays maps of Wales donot show Newmarket, but do show Mold, where the main parish was for the Newmarket area. They remained there for two years after which they returned two years later full of the restored gospel to which they had been converted. John Williams wife Mary was the daughter of John Parry. Mary accepted the teachings of her father and mother and was baptized before her parents returned to Birkenhead and left with the Buena Vista group for Utah. Many of the people in the Newmarket area became interested in the Mormonism and were baptized, they joined together in small branches to worship, and either became disillusioned rather quickly or gathered for emigration to Zion and left. A rather imaginative bit of faith healing involved John Williams. Yet it is doubtful that he joined the Mormon Church during this period. The faith-healing story cones from the journal of John Parry Jr.( and could have been written to impress the reader rather than to report the actual facts). It involves the restoration of John Williams» cancer-destroyed tongue and jaw. Whether John Williams was baptized then or later ( 1870 ). Nevertheless he left his father and his farm laboring to emigrate with Mary and their daughters ( sons had died ) to Zion in the spring of I856. This family joined others in Liverpool and sailed under Dan Jones' watchful care in the ship SAMUEL CURLING. This group arrived in Council Bluff via Boston and outfitted as the third Handcart Company under the direction of Edward Bunker, leaving in June of 1856, just ahead of the ill-fated Martin and Willis companies. Pricilla Me rriman Evans was a member of that company and recorded the following: " a handcart for each family. Each handcart carried about 100 pounds of flour and when that was gone we got more from the wagon, ( five mule teams hauled tents and flour in wagons ) carried coffee and bacon which was soon gone. .. about three Irundred Welsh Saints., about a dozen in our tent., allowed to bring but 17 pounds of baggage and clothing., the sick were pulled on th© carts, no one could ride in the wagons., we had no snow and the weather was quite pleasant., had to leave clothes and other possessions in the campground in Iowa to be put in the storehouse and later brought to the valley. The storehouse burned down., settlers along the way made fun of us..." But on they trudged to Zion, arriving 2 October 1856 about five months after leaving Council Bluff, John, Mary and their daughters settled in Millcreek in the vieinity of the present 33rd, South and 7th East. The first record of them in the Valley is the I860 Greater Salt lake census. John ' is listed as a farmer with about $ 50 worth of personal estate,
Format image/jpeg
Setname uum_jwfc
Date Created 2005-09-12
Date Modified 2005-09-12
ID 204343
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6k0727d/204343