Contents

The Great Basin Experiment Station

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 21
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1989
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6cf9n7t
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 325980
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6cf9n7t

Page Metadata

Title The Great Basin Experiment Station
Description FIRST PW.CE HISTOEICAL ESSAY THE GREAT BASIN EXEEBIM3BT STATION Eleanor P, Madsen 295 East 1st Horth Ephraim, Utah 84627 If you had followed the winding road up Ephraim Canyon sc-Eie forty years ago for about ten miles, you would have reached a gate with a sign over the top which read "Utah SJxperiment Station." The gate and sign are gone now. Pillars at the entrance hold a plague which reads "Great Basin Experimental Range" in keeping with the present name which has been changed many times over the years. Tall pines and stately aspens border the road into the Station, The interesting history of the area dates "back to 1911 when A. W. Jensen, the first Supervisor of the Manti National Forest, with four other forest personnel, drove up Ephraim canyon with a horse and buggy looking for a suitable place to establish an experiment station. The group had previously been to Fairview cany°n and to Bluebell Flat and to a place above Kanore Tom's Dugway in Ephrain canyon, but had rejected each of the three places. As they were driving down the canyon, they turned off the road at the spot where the Experiment Station is now located and were impressed with the area. The site was later approved by government agencies and work began. The Station waa "literally carved out of the wilderness." In the ensuing months, trees were cut, stumps pulled, land leveled, fences installed and buildings constructed. The first buildings were the Director's residence, a laboratory building, the Assistant's residence and a barn. The Assistant's residence burned down in 1935» but was replaced the following year as a CCC project. It is now known aa The Lodge. When there was no further need for a barn, it was converted into a tool shed, A greenhouse was next built and was used from 1913 to 1955 for varied studies in vegetation. It has since been used as a dwelling for assistants and employees. The Palmer House, a garage with a second story, and two 74
Format application/pdf
Identifier 088_The Great Basin Experiment Station.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 21
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 325952
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6cf9n7t/325952