Ephraim's United Order

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 22
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneer
Publisher Snow College
Date 1990
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6k64g79
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 323884
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Ephraim's United Order
Description presented "East Lynne," "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and other productions that brought tears, cheers and boos from an appreciative audience. C.C.A, Christensen's memorable panorama and the first silent movies were also shown. The admittance fee was a sack of wheat, potatoes or anything they raised to eat. Canvas curtains divided the room into necessary sections and the teacher with the greatest vocal power received the attention of all. A complaint surfaced regarding the price of some merchandise. This encouraged other merchants to open stores, but they did not succeed at first. The former Ephraim 2rvterprise building was one of these stores. The United Order was comparatively short-lived. Host organizations had been abandoned by 1880. The cooperative plan failed due to customer's unpaid bills. The main floor of the building was rented to the Ephraim Co-op Mercantile Association on February 26, 1885, for 375. The title of the building was in Canute Peterson's possession (as Bishop) on April 7, 1887. The Ephraim North Ward Relief Society paid one dollar consideration for the upper floor on the same day. An Academy, to be located in Ephraim, had been discussed for a number of years by presiding officers of the church and Sanpete Stake. On Hovember 5» 1888, Sanpete Stake Academy held its first classes on the upper floor of the Co-op and continued in that location for eight years. Classes were held on the stage, the balcony and the assembly area. One hundred students varying in ages from 11-35 attended the first year. Although the Academy was a church school, most of the financial support came from local members. The first governing board was the Sanpete Stake Presidency, Canute Peterson, Henry Beal and John C. Maiben. Following Sanpete Academy's removal to its present location in 1896, the once-proud building lost 16
Format application/pdf
Identifier 029_Ephraim's United Order.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 22
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 323768
Reference URL