Contents

Bits of Early Sanpete History

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 10
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1978
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6pz56z9
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 323735
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6pz56z9

Page Metadata

Title Bits of Early Sanpete History
Description Uinta Springs (Fountain Green) where four Manti men were killed. Cn October 4th, two more men were killed at Manti larger communities. Sanpete settlers, numbering 765, gathered in the Manti Fort. In the fall of 1853 some 200 Danish emigrants arrived in Sanpete. They first stopped at Allred's Settlement (Spring City) where they harvested the potatoes ordered and helped to Manti where they found "no room" inside the fort. During the Winter of 1853-54, all 950 people in the valley lived at Fort Manti. Here a number of important decisions were made regarding the future of the "Kingdom of God" in Sanpete Valley, to wit: (1) Behunin sold his farm and water to a representative of the Mormon Church, Calif Edwards. (2) Men from Manti built a one and one-half acre Tort &t Ephrai m astride the irrigation ditches to the Behunin farm. (3) When Fort Ephraim was completed, Behunin and his family returned to Pine Creek, along with other pioneers from Manti to Ephraim. For Ephraim and For ^anti were both enlarged during the 1854-56 period. These were the only settlements in City were resettled and Fairview, Moroni, and Fountain Green were settled. The people who remained in Ephraim moved out Gunnison's settlement. On June 5, 1854, the Ephraim Precinct was organized Creek. Plans for future Ephraim followed Brigham Young's modification of the Plat of the City of Zion as used in Salt Lake. The Ephraim Townsite was three fourths of a mile square. Large acreages of land were designated "not worth dividing." By 1864 Ephraim had five fenced, irrigated fields. Four were adjacent to the townsite and the other was located north and west of the Pioneer Cemetery. In the settlement of Sanpete all land divisions were church controlled. The "Plat of the City of Zion" advocated that "small hoi dings were best for the people". These smal1 -121-
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 135_Bits of Early Sanpete History.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol. 10
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 323628
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6pz56z9/323628