Manti Temple Anniversary

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 05
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Sothern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1973
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6tm788q
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-24
Date Modified 2005-02-24
ID 323578
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Manti Temple Anniversary
Description tains" says: "The building of the Manti Temple was in very deed, a marvelous accomplishment. Most of the Saints on whose shoulders the responsibility was placed, were in moderate or humble circumstances. Pioneers to the valley and converts from many lands, and life the followers of the Master, they were not of the aristocracy of the earth. Of such as they had, and of their labor, they gave freely, eggs, butter, cheese, lumber, cloth, cattle, horses, sheep, hogs and a great variety of hand-made articles, all produced by honest toil, poured into the bishop's storehouse to pay the cost of construction." Thus it was that a million dollar project was completed by a people who had little else than willing hands to accomplish this gigantic task. Finally the long expected day of the public dedication approached. For a number of days prior to May 21, 1888, all roads leading to Manti were crowded with teams bringing people here, In the early hours of the appointed day they began to gather on the hill east of the temple until the hillside was covered. At 9:30 a.m. the doors were opened and more than 17,000 people crowded into the upper room which is accessible from the east steps. apostle Lorenzo Snow had charge of the services. After the choir sang "Lord We Come Before Thee Now" Elder Snow offered the beautiful prayer, giving God all praise and honor for His goodness, for the restoration of the Gospel, and for the privi-lege of building a temple unto Him. His blessings were sought for all who worked in the temple, for all who entered there, that God would accept of this house and protect it always. During the three days of dedication Heavenly manifestations were heard and seen by many. Just as Professor Smyth was about to conduct the choir, another choir was heard in another part of the building. It sounded angelic and many turned their heads to listen, no doubt the building was acceptable unto the Lord. Endowment and ordinance work began on May 29, 1888, eighty-five years ago this May. There were no electric lights in the Temple until after 1900 so other means of lighting was employed. The lights atop the towers now shine like a beacon in the blackness of night, guiding airplanes and other traffic on their way. 27
Format application/pdf
Identifier 039_Manti Temple Anniversary.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol. 5
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 323546
Reference URL