Alf Engen Ski Museum to be Built at Winter Sports Park; Luella Broby Seeholzer 1905-1998

Request archival file or update item information
Title Utah Ski Archives Newsletter: 1998 (Autumn), no. 13
Creator Friends of the Ski Archives
Subject Skis and Skiing--Periodicals; Skiing--Utah--History
Description The Utah Ski and Snowboard Archives is one of the most comprehensive collections in the entire country for research into the history and development of Utah's prospering winter sports industry. The archives document the history of ski competition on local, national, and international levels; the founding of major resorts; snow safety and avalanche control; ski equipment; ski instruction; freestyle skiing; the 10th Mountain Division; back-country skiing; and virtually every facet of winter sports in Utah and the surrounding region. The archives are the repository for the Salt Lake Winter Olympics Games Bid Committee records and the records of the 2002 games themselves.
Table of Contents Earl Miller to Gain Quinney Award; Archives Program to HOnor Local Athletes Who Made History on World Stages; Alf Engen Ski Museum to be Built at Winter Sports Park; Luella Broby Seeholzer 1905-1998; Jean Elizabeth Pickett 1926-1998; The Utah Ski Archives Receives Major Collection; Utah Skiers Anticipate Great Season; Alan Engen to Speak at Marriott Books and Author Series
Publisher University of Utah Marriott Library Ski Archives Program
Contributors Korologos, Mike; Thompson, Gregory C. (Gregory Coyne), 1943-
Date 1998-10
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier http://content.lib.utah.edu/cgi-bin/docviewer.exe?CISOROOT=/epubs&CISOPTR=282
Source Accn 1086
Language eng
Relation Is part of: Utah Ski Archives
Is Part of Ski Archive
Rights Management University of Utah, Copyright 2001
Holding Institution Special Collections, Marriott Library, University of Utah.
Source Physical Dimensions 22 cm x 28 cm
Newsletter Date Utah Ski Archives Newsletter, Autumn 1998, No. 13
Scanning Technician Karen Edge
Metadata Cataloger Karen Edge; Clifton Brooks; Kenning Arlitsch; Chris Anderson
ARK ark:/87278/s65m6512
Setname uum_usan
Date Created 2005-03-16
Date Modified 2015-12-11
ID 190224
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s65m6512

Page Metadata

Title Alf Engen Ski Museum to be Built at Winter Sports Park; Luella Broby Seeholzer 1905-1998
Creator Friends of the Ski Archives
Description ALF ENGEN SKI MUSEUM To BE BUILT AT WINTER SPORTS PARK After nearly ten years of hard work by many organizations, the Alf Engen Ski Museum Foundation finally secured a building site for the Quinney Winter Sports Center, which will house the Alf Engen Ski Museum. In a letter dated February 11, 1998, Randy Dryer, Chairman of the Utah Sports Authority indicated the Sports Authority's approval of the Museum's location west of the Day Lodge and jumping pool. "It has been a long time coming," stated Alan Engen, Chairman/President of the Foundation. "We couldn't be more pleased to be located within the Sports Park near so many premier Olympic venues and close to Ecker Hill where my father recorded many of his world ski jump records." The next step for the Foundation will be to work with the Salt Lake Olympic Committee, who takes fee title to the Winter Sports Park in 1999, in preparing a land lease for the building site. The Foundation will also work closely with Summit County and the Utah Sports Authority during the design and construction phases of the project. "Our window of opportunity is very tight," commented Engen. "In order to tie into the building schedule of the Organizing Committee, we have to accelerate the pace to be up and running prior to the Olympic games in February of 2002." Earlier this year the Foundation selected the Salt Lake based firm Edwards & Daniels Architects (EDA) to design the facility. The firm was selected earlier by the Organizing Committee to assist in creating a new master plan for the Winter Sports Park in preparation for both the pre-Olympic and Olympic competitions at the Park. "After we interviewed the firm and found out about their excellent qualifications, we decided it made sense in terms of saving time and in working closely with the Organizing Committee to select EDA as the architects to help build the facility," Engen said. EDA has already completed a preliminary site analysis for the location of the building and is preparing to start a comprehensive programming phase. This spring, after a local and national search, the Foundation also selected Academy Studios, a San Francisco based exhibit design firm to help participate in the programming phase. Academy will be used to help design the building's interior. The programming phase will include a marketing study and business plan for operating the facility after construction is complete. During the programming phase, special emphasis will be focused on strengthening the foundation's existing ties with the University of Utah Marriott Library Ski Archives and the Utah Historical Society. Emphasis will be also be placed on developing a working relationship with the Salt Lake Olympic Organizing Committee. As it relates to designing permanent exhibit space for highlighting all facets of the 2002 Olympic experience. LUELLA BROBY SEEHOLZER 19054998 Luella Broby was. born and raised in Cache Valley near Wellsville, Utah. As a young woman she married Harold Seeholzer. Harry loved the outdoors and in the winter months spent a lot of time on skis. In the late 1930s a group of Logan residents including Harold Seeholzer operated a cable tow in the area of the sinks in Logan canyon. In the early 1940s Logan City Recreation wanted out of the ski area business and asked for bids from those interested in taking over the cable tow. Harry and Luella Seeholzer mortgaged their home and began their foray into the ski business. In the beginning things were very difficult. They worked hard together to make the ski area succeed. Luella would make a big pot of barbecue at home to sell at the area, and they would leave early in the morning for the mountain. As the Seeholzer children, Ted, Loyal, Dixie, and Nancy, became old enough, they worked on the mountain along side their parents. Luella said that they got in the ski business to not only provide fun for the citizens of Cache Valley but for their children as well. Their family has always been close. In 1961, when the first double chair lift was installed, Harry and Luella brought in the four children as partners. Harold Seeholzer passed away in 1968. His lifelong dream was a lift that would go to the top of the mountain. That lift was completed in 1970 and appropriately named "Harry's Dream". Luella loved the mountain and loved the people who came there. Throughout the years she was affectionately known by such terms of endearment as "Mother of the Mountain", "Grandma Seeholzer", and "Lollipop". She could often be seen in her army coat and flight boots loading lifts, selling tickets, or giving hugs and smiles freely. Giving to others seemed to be what made Luella Seeholzer the happiest. Luella was honored by the Utah Ski Archives in 1993 with several other founders of Utah Skiing. In 1991 she graciously sat for an interview. An interview that is now on file in the Archives at the Marriott Library. She also donated photos and scrapbooks to the Archives to be duplicated. Luella was a friend to the Utah Ski Archives and supported its mission. We are grateful for her contributions and for what she and her family have meant to Utah Skiing. A few weeks ago long time family friend Lou Lorenz, commenting on Luella's recent passing, simply stated "She was one great lady". 4
Publisher University of Utah Marriott Library Ski Archives Program
Contributors Korologos, Mike; Thompson, Gregory C. (Gregory Coyne), 1943-
Format application/pdf
Identifier seeholzer.jpg
Source Accn 1086
Relation Is part of: Utah Ski Archives
Rights Management University of Utah, Copyright 2001
Source Physical Dimensions 22 cm x 28 cm
Coverage Temporal Autumn, 1998
Newsletter Date Utah Ski Archives Newsletter, Autumn 1998, No. 13; Page 4
Scanning Technician Karen Edge
Metadata Cataloger Karen Edge; Clifton Brooks
Setname uum_usan
Date Created 2005-03-16
Date Modified 2005-03-16
ID 190186
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s65m6512/190186