Arco/BORAX Mobile Substation [33]

Request archival file or update item information
Title Arco/BORAX Mobile Substation [33]
Photo Number P0206add2n01_15_016 trans
Description Scan of a transparency of "Mr. Meyer Novick, Argonne National Laboratory engineer, turns valve to release steam from BORAX reactor into the turbine which drives 3,500 kw. Capacity generator shown at right."
Keywords Rocky Mountain Power; Arco; Borax; Idaho
Subject Boiling water reactors--Butte County--Idaho--Photographs; Argonne National Laboratory-West--Photographs; Idaho National Laboratory--Photographs
Additional Information Utah Power & Light Company, with a mobile substation, participated in the early experiments at the National Reactor Testing Station (today the Idaho National Laboratory). On December 20, 1951, the Experimental Breeder Reactor-1 produced the first electricity from a nuclear reaction. On July 17, 1955, the BORAX-III reactor provided electric lighting to the nearby town of Argo--the first community in the world ever to be lit by electricity generated by nuclear power.
Spatial Coverage Idaho National Laboratory; Butte County (Idaho)
Latitude 43.51798
Longitude -113.00946
Collection Number and Name P0206 Rocky Mountain Power Company Photograph Collection
Collection Name Rocky Mountain Power Company
Date 1950; 1951; 1952; 1953; 1954; 1955
Textual Date circa 1950-1955
Owning Institution Multimedia Archives, Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah
Rights http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/
Type Image
Digitization Specifications Digital image produced on Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner, RGB, at 2000dpi. Archival file is uncompressed TIFF.
ARK ark:/87278/s6708s41
Setname uum_map
Date Created 2013-02-07
Date Modified 2015-11-18
ID 985579
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6708s41
Back to Search Results