Arco/BORAX Mobile Substation [10]

Request archival file or update item information
Title Arco/BORAX Mobile Substation [10]
Photo Number P0206add2n01_14_008
Description Scan of a photo of the "Exterior of Argonne National Laboratory's BORAX reactor installation at the Atomic Energy Commission's National Reactor Testing Station is shown above. Left to right are: Cooling tower used for dissipating energy from reactor, turbogenerator building, steam line, and reactor building"
Keywords Rocky Mountain Power; Arco; Idaho
Subject Boiling water reactors--Butte County--Idaho--Photographs; Argonne National Laboratory-West--Photographs; Idaho National Laboratory--Photographs
Additional Information Utah Power & Light Company, with a mobile substation, participated in the early experiments at the National Reactor Testing Station (today the Idaho National Laboratory). On December 20, 1951, the Experimental Breeder Reactor-1 produced the first electricity from a nuclear reaction. On July 17, 1955, the BORAX-III reactor provided electric lighting to the nearby town of Argo--the first community in the world ever to be lit by electricity generated by nuclear power.
Spatial Coverage Idaho National Laboratory; Butte County (Idaho)
Latitude 43.51798
Longitude -113.00946
Collection Number and Name P0206 Rocky Mountain Power Company Photograph Collection
Collection Name Rocky Mountain Power Company
Date 1952; 1953; 1954; 1955
Textual Date circa 1950-1955
Owning Institution Multimedia Archives, Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah
Rights http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/
Type Image
Digitization Specifications Digital image produced on Epson Expression 10000 XL scanner, RGB, at 400dpi. Archival file is uncompressed TIFF.
ARK ark:/87278/s6hd8md5
Setname uum_map
Date Created 2013-02-07
Date Modified 2015-11-18
ID 985569
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6hd8md5
Back to Search Results