Wayne Boyce, Salt Lake City, Utah: an interview by Becky B. Lloyd, January 30, 2011

Request archival file or update item information
Title Wayne Boyce, Salt Lake City, Utah: an interview by Becky B. Lloyd, January 30, 2011
Alternative Title No. 598 Wayne Boyce
Creator Boyce, Wayne, 1926-
Contributor Cooley, Everett L.; University of Utah. American West Center; Lloyd, Becky B.
Publisher Digitized by J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah
Date 2011-01-30
Access Rights I acknowledge and agree that all information I obtain as a result of accessing any oral history provided by the University of Utah's Marriott Library shall be used only for historical or scholarly or academic research purposes, and not for commercial purposes. I understand that any other use of the materials is not authorized by the University of Utah and may exceed the scope of permission granted to the University of Utah by the interviewer or interviewee. I may request permission for other uses, in writing to Special Collections at the Marriott Library, which the University of Utah may choose grant, in its sole discretion. I agree to defend, indemnify and hold the University of Utah and its Marriott Library harmless for and against any actions or claims that relate to my improper use of materials provided by the University of Utah.
Date Digital 2014-06-11
Spatial Coverage Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/5780993/ ; San Francisco, San Francisco County, California, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/5391959/ ; Arkansas, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/4099753/
Subject Boyce, Wayne, 1926- --Interviews; Poliomyelitis--Patients--Utah--Biography
Description Transcript (50 pages) of interview by Becky B. Lloyd with Wayne Boyce on January 30, 2011
Abstract Boyce (b. 1926) was born in Tuckerman, Arkansas. He attended The Citadel for one year (1943-44) before volunteering for the Army infantry in September 1944. He received basic training at Camp Robinson and additional training as an infantry rifleman. He was shipped to the Philippines with the 31st "Dixie" Division, 124th Regiment, Company E. Later assigned as a medic to his unit, he discusses his activities and experiences there. After boarding a ship to return to the States, he developed polio that affected his arms and legs. Placed in isolation onboard ship, he was immobilized and received around the clock care. After landing in San Francisco, Boyce was treated for a time in the hospital at the Presidio, then was transported by hospital train to the hospital at Fort Sam Houston, where he started physical therapy. Later he was transported by train in a Pullman car to Malvern, Arkansas, then by ambulance to the Army Navy Hospital in Hot Springs, Arkansas. He describes his care, therapy (including hot packs) and the hospital. Upon discharge he returned to school, where he earned a law degree and practiced law until retirement. Interview is part of the Polio Oral History Project. Interviewer: Becky B. Lloyd
Type Text
Genre oral histories (literary works)
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Scanning Technician Matt Wilkinson
Metadata Cataloger Matt Brunsvik; Jeremy Myntti; Ken Rockwell; Patrick Miller
Conversion Specifications Original scanned with Kirtas 2400 and saved as 400 ppi uncompressed TIFF. PDF generated by Adobe Acrobat Pro X for CONTENTdm display
ARK ark:/87278/s6c26dtm
Topic Poliomyelitis--Patients
Setname uum_elc
ID 799868
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6c26dtm