University of Utah Women Basketeers

Update item information
Title University of Utah Women Basketeers
Subject women's basketball
Description photo of women's basketball
Additional Information "Baske thell made its debut at the University of Utah in January, 1897 in the form of a girls game! The women students were so enthused about the new competition negotiations were started for an intercollegiate league. The Athletic Association purchased the necessary equipment and "made ready for the game of basketball for the young ladies." Practices were held regularly for two teams. The ladies who composed the squads were: Jean Hyde (captain), Dot Stay, Angie Holbrook, Nellie Ross , Mabel Wallace, Edna Harker, Miss Christensen, and Claire Ellerbeck, the first team; Lucile Hewitt {captain), Lanore Sampson, Grace Nelson , Beatrice Wilkinson, Margaret Snell, Agnes Evans, Bessie Boyce, and Claire Clinton, second team. The first basketball game at the University was played in January 1897 in one of the rooms of what was known as the West Building on the University Campus on Second West and Second North streets. A large crowd, most of whom were girls, was present, and the new game was enjoyed exceedingly by the spectators. The University of Utah's girls' team played the Mutual Improvement Association in a game which was very interesting, especially for those who were witnessing such competition for the first time. The basketball teams of the University competed with each other as well as with outside teams. The Chronicle of April 13,1897 gives an account of the next game."A spirited game of basketball was played on Wednesday evening last at the YMCA gymnasium between the first U. of U. team and the first ladies' team of the YMCA. The college girls won by a score of 9 to 6. The victory was due to the more scientific playing of our team, who by reason of their ground plays, had a decided advantage over their opponents, who played only an overhead game. It was evident from the first that the varsity girls were masters of the situation." Mr. Qualtrough , a business man of the city, was the first coach of these basketball teams. Mr. Qualtrough, however, remained only a few months as a coach but he inspired the players with enough enthusiasm to keep basketball a going game. Professor Byron Cummings was enthusiastic about basketball as he had been about football and did all he could to foster this game for the girls, called at that time "the sister of football."Through Professor Cummings' efforts a basketball court was built outside on the campus. "It is understood that he has taken up a labor with other members of the instructing force for the purpose of inducing them to subscribe enough to furnish up a basketball court on the campus. He has been so far successful that the teams will very soon have a convenient place tor practicing in the open air."--Chronicle. April 27. 1897. Several games were played during this year of 1897 with the young women of the YMCA. A favorite play of this time was the "ground pass." It was often used and was one of the most brilliant plays of that time. A player who had the ball and found two guards blocking her way dropped the ball and pushed her way between her opponents and then rolled the ball safely into the hands of another player who reached the goal while using the same tactics. At a field day celebration in June 1897 the basketball game between the High School and University team was one of the outstanding features. This game was played at ten-thirty in the morning. The first intercollegiate basketball game took place in May 1899 between the girls of the University of Utah and the girls of the Brigham "Young Academy. "In the morning 'the committee on the reception from the University met at the station some 350 students and teachers from the B.Y.A. A spirit of friendliness pervaded the meeting and prevailed during the events of the day. At ten o'clock the athletic contests began. The first event and the only one in which the girls of both institutions participated was the basketball game. This was lively and warmly contested from start to finish. The Provo girls had the advantage of strength and weight, but lacked in wireness and teamwork. They fouled roughly." fouled roughly." The University girls lost this game. In 1900 basketball for girls at the University began to lose its hold. For several years Miss Babcock had organized girls' teams and practices were held regularly, but gradually the girls' teams lost their interest and competitive games with outside teams were abolished. The basketball girls were very happy when a court was put in shape outside on the campus grounds. The court, however, was not always in the best of condition. The ground was often dusty and there was no means of sprinkling it and the rain, when it did come, was welcome. The basketball girls appeared in baggy bloomers which was quite a shock to many people at that time end the young ladies of the team were often indignant at the rude behavior of some young men who came uninvited to see the game. In fact, no person had any right to be on the grounds and watch the games without permission from the ladies!
Creator University of Utah Athletics
Publisher University of Utah Athletics
Date 1880; 1881; 1882; 1883; 1884; 1885; 1886; 1887; 1888; 1889; 1890; 1891; 1892; 1893; 1894; 1895; 1896; 1897; 1898; 1899; 1900
Type Image/StillImage
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Digital Image Copyright University of Utah
Sport Women's Basketball
ARK ark:/87278/s65f1ptz
Setname uu_ath_2
Date Created 2014-02-21
Date Modified 2014-02-21
ID 772852
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s65f1ptz
Back to Search Results