Beehive House P.1

Download File (1.02M)
Title Beehive House P.1
File Name 39222000584065.tif
Photo Number No. 7316
Classification 728
Publisher Digitized by J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah
Subject Residences
Person Young, Brigham
Other Subject Dwellings; Beehive House; Eagle Gate
Spatial Coverage Salt Lake City; Salt Lake County; Utah
Description Bee Hive House, South Temple and State, Salt Lake City, built about 1852 and designed by Trumen O. Angell. It was Brigham Young's official residence and served as the executive mansion for State occasions. It was occupied by Brigham Young until his death in 1877. Also shown are the Eagle Gate and the high stone wall surrounding the house. U.H.S. Collection and Writers project Collection. Bee Hive House and Lion House: Brigham Young, Governor of the Territory of Deseret and President of the CHurch of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, had the Bee Hive House constructed in 1852. The materials used in the construction were adobe and sandstone. Durably built, with walls two feet thick, the structure is well balanced--both lines and workmanship are evidence of harmony and finish. Just inside the front door may be found a plaque which carries the following inscription: "This is to certify that... The Bee Hive House has been selected by the 'Historic American BUilding Survey' as possessing exceptional historic and architectural interest and as being worthy of most careful preservation for the benefit of future generations and that to this end, a record of its present appearance and condition has been made and deposited for reference in the Library of Congress. Signed Harold Ickes, Secretary of Interior." The Bee Hive House is so rich in memory and experience that visitors often express a spirit of reverence when inisde its walls. Ralph Ramsey carved the beehive which rests upon the top of the house. It is the symbol of industry adopted by the Mormon pioneers. The Lion House was constructed in 1855-1856. It was built to accommodate Brigham Young's growing family. In the basement the rooms consisted of root cellars, a laundry room, weaving room, milk room, kitchens and dining rooms. On the first floor was the parlor or prayer room and the individual sitting rooms for the eleven wives who lived there. The second floor was composed of twenty becrooms, each having a dormer window.
Rights Management Digital Image © 2008 Utah State Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Holding Institution Utah State Historical Society
Relation Classified Photograph Collection
Source Format Print Photograph
Source Size 7.8 inches x 4.4 inches
Type Image
Format image/jpeg
Format Creation Original scanned on Epson Expression 10000 XL and saved as 400 ppi TIFF. Display image generated in CONTENTdm as JP2000 pixels on the long axis. Archival resolution: 3114 x 1773
Scanned By Jacob Trauscht
ARK ark:/87278/s61266t1
ID 446060
setname dha_cp
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/details?id=446060
Back to Search Results