Paramount-Empress Theater P.2

Update item information
Title Paramount-Empress Theater P.2
File Name 39222001701890.tif
Photo Number No. 25294
Classification 725.8
Publisher Digitized by J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah
Subject Theaters, Resorts, Amusement Halls, Parks
Corporate Name Paramount-Empress Theater
Other Subject Movie theaters
Spatial Coverage Salt Lake City; Salt Lake County; Utah
Historic Address 53 South Main Street
Description 25294 Interior of The Empress, Paramount Empress, Paramount, and The Uptown.
Comment "The Empress Theater was built for the Sullivan - Considine circuit in 1911 and featured vaudeville acts and movies. Poor business, however, forced the theater to close. In 1916 Louis Marcus, a local distributor for art class pictures, reopened the theater as the Paramount - Empress and operated it almost exclusively as a movie showhouse. Music for the films was provided by the Paramount Orchestra ... Publix Theaters, a subsidiary of Paramount Studios, bought the theater from Marcus in the late 1920's, but the theater was forced to close during the Depression. ... In the 1930's the Paramount reopened ... Became the Uptown in 1950s; closed in 1971." -- From web site http://utahtheaters.info/TheaterMain.asp?ID=128
Rights Management Digital Image © 2009 Utah State Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Holding Institution Utah State Historical Society
Relation Classified Photograph Collection
Source Format Print Photograph
Source Size 7.6 inches x 9.5 inches
Type Image
Format image/jpeg
Format Creation Original scanned on Epson Expression 10000 XL and saved as 400 ppi TIFF. Display image generated in CONTENTdm as JP2000 pixels on the long axis. Archival resolution: 3054 x 3797
Scanned By Louise Radcliffe
ARK ark:/87278/s62v2w5h
Setname dha_cp
Date Created 2009-03-18
Date Modified 2009-04-03
ID 444914
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s62v2w5h