USHS_PR_Page 3Provo River

Update item information
Title USHS_PR_Page 3Provo River
Date 2002-04-16
Subject Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.)
Description Historical Brief History of the Provo River Project (PRP) Population growth and increased domestic and irrigation water needs for the city of Provo and five other Utah County communities prompted these cities to join with Salt Lake City to sponsor the Provo River Project (PRP). The PRP was initiated under the provisions of the National Recovery Act of 1933 and approved by the President in 1935. Construction of the PRP began in May 1938. Today, PRP features include the Duchesne Collection System consisting of two dams and a 6 mile tunnel. The Weber-Provo Canal and Diversion diverts water from the Weber River to the Weber-Provo Canal. Deer Creek Dam, Reservoir, and Powerhouse provides water storage, power, and recreation. The Murdock Diversion diverts water from the Provo River into the Provo Reservoir Canal. Finally, the Jordan Narrows/Point of the Mountain Facilities are located at the terminus of the Provo Reservoir Canal. This system delivers water to several canal systems on the front range. This water system has remained a vital part of both domestic and irrigation water delivery for many towns and cities in central Utah for over 70 years. As the population of the region has grown, the PRP has necessarily grown with it. The use of the existing Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp buildings and structures without modification has forced the PRP to lease buildings elsewhere and use land in Kamas for equipment storage. The new project they are proposing will allow them to consolidate their equipment and people onto one location for a much more efficient business operation. The CCC Camp Property The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation) holds title to the land, buildings, and artifacts that were original CCC or Army relics and structures. The buildings and structures are historic properties that are eligible for inclusion to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) because of their association with CCC Camp BR-91. Camp BR-91 was one of two camps assigned to the Provo River Project (Pfaff 2000). Because of the maintenance and continued use of the buildings by PRWUA since 1956, the buildings and structures of Camp BR-91 are now among the best remaining examples of a CCC Camp in the state of Utah. Historians, ethnographers, archaeologists, and historic architects are interested in the buildings and structures, as well as the history they represent. However, it is the continued visitation by former CCC Camp/Army members and the interest and concern with preservation of the buildings and structures demonstrated by the Pleasant Grove Certified Local Government that makes the property particularly significant and eligible to the NRHP. See . The National Historic Preservation Act, Section 106 Responsibilities The National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) sets out broad responsibilities to Federal agencies. It is intended to ensure that historic values are considered before decisions are made that foreclose preservation options. Under NHPA, Federal agencies are required to Final Report 5 April \6, 2002
Rights Management Digital Image © 2003 Utah State Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
ARK ark:/87278/s6fn1495
Setname dha_ccc
Date Created 2004-06-28
Date Modified 2004-06-28
ID 428590
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6fn1495
Back to Search Results