Evaluation of clinical phamacy practice by the University of Utah Hospital housestaff

Update item information
Publication Type thesis
School or College School of Medicine
Department Family & Preventive Medicine
Author Phillips, Reed Barratt
Title Evaluation of clinical phamacy practice by the University of Utah Hospital housestaff
Date 1979-12
Description Historically, pharmacists have rendered a valuable service to the health care system in the procurement, preparation and distribution of medications and health products. In more recent years, pharmacy services have expanded to include drug therapy consulting services to physicians and patients. This study was designed to evaluate the services rendered by the clinical pharmacists at the University of Utah Hospital and its teaching affiliates. Evaluation of clinical pharmacy services were made by resident housestaff physicians. 316 housestaff physicians were surveyed and 159 responded (50.3%). 52% of the respondents were working in hospital services utilizing clinical pharmacists at the time the survey x<ras taken (June 1979). The majority of the remaining 48% indicated having had some experience interacting with the clinical pharmacists. Work rounds were indicated as the most meaningful hospital setting for interacting with the clinical pharmacist. A significant majority of responses gave favorable value judgments (93%) and expressed positive attitudes (60%) regarding their interactions with the clinical pharmacists. Favorable value judgments and positive attitudes were significantly related to an increased frequency of interaction. No significant difference was found between attitudes of respondents in hospital services utilizing clinical pharmacists and hospital services not utilizing clinical pharmacists. Topics discussed during a typical interaction between clinical pharmacist and housestaff were not always indicated as the most important topics. The findings of this study give support to the role of the clinical pharmacist as a consultant to physicians on issues related to drug therapy. However, information discussed in this study is primarily the result of respondents who utilize the services of the clinical pharmacist and may not be applicable in certain hospital settings.
Type Text
Publisher University of Utah
Subject Utah
Subject MESH Pharmacology, Clinical; Pharmacy Service, Hospital
Dissertation Institution University of Utah
Dissertation Name MS
Language eng
Relation is Version of Digital reproduction of "An Evaluation of clinical phamacy practice by the University of Utah Hospital housestaff Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library.
Rights Management © Reed Barratt Phillips.
Format Medium application/pdf
Format Extent 2,367,762 bytes
Identifier undthes,3915
Source Original University of Utah Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library (no longer available)
Funding/Fellowship Foundation for Chiropractic Education and Research; The College of Pharmacy, University of Utah
Master File Extent 2,367,813 bytes
ARK ark:/87278/s6tb18rz
Setname ir_etd
Date Created 2012-04-24
Date Modified 2012-04-24
ID 191630
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6tb18rz