Structure and replication of Euglena gracills mitrochondrial DNA

Update item information
Publication Type dissertation
School or College School of Medicine
Department Biochemistry
Author Ryan, Robert Spranger
Contributor Wolstenholme, David R. Dr.
Title Structure and replication of Euglena gracills mitrochondrial DNA
Date 1973-06
Description The DNA molecule from mitochondria of Euglena gracilis has been examined to determine (1) its structure and molecular weight, (2) its base sequence homology with chloroplast DNA of Euglena gracilis, and (3) its mechanism of replication and rate of turnover. The structure of the mitochondrial DNA has been analyzed by renaturation kinetics, electron microscopy and velocity sedimentation. The renaturation kinetics of mitochondrial DNA is multiphasic. The slower renaturing component comprises about 57% of the DNA and represents about 190 x 10[6] daltons of non-redundant nucleotide sequences. The remaining 43% of the DNA must be reiterated and may represent the coding information of a collection of genes totaling 6 x 10[6] daltons. No circular molecules were observed upon electron microscopic examination of isolated mitochondrial DNA, lysates of mitochondria purified with or without deoxyribonuclease treatment, or lysates of whole cells. Linear molecules from deoxyribonuclease-treated mitochondria have a mean contour length of 1.3 gamma-m. Velocity sedimentation analyses of DNA isolated from highly purified mitochondrial fractions and of mitochondrial DNA prepared by fractionation of whole cell DNA showed a single bond sedimenting at a rate equivalent to linear duplex molecules having and average molecular weight of 3 x 10[6] daltons. Base sequence homology between mitochondrial DNA and chloroplast DNA of E. gracilis is less than 0.15% as determined by two independent DNA-DNA hybridization techniques. The mechanism of replication and rate of turnover of mitochondrial DNA has been determined by incorporating 15N, 32P and 3H isotopes into the DNA of exponentially growing E. gracilis. Mitochondrial DNA replicates 1.6 times per cell doubling and has a half-life of 1.5 cell doublings. Recombination occurs concomitantly with replication of the mitochondrial DNA.
Type Text
Publisher University of Utah
Subject Proteins; Phenotypes
Subject MESH DNA; Euglena gracilis; Mitochondria
Dissertation Institution University of Utah
Dissertation Name PhD
Language eng
Relation is Version of Digital reproduction of "Structure and replication of Euglena gracills mitrochondrial DNA" Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library. Print version of "Structure and replication of Euglena gracills mitrochondrial DNA." available at J. Willard Marriott Library Special Collection. QL3.5 1973 .R87
Rights Management © Robert Spranger Ryan.
Format Medium application/pdf
Format Extent 1,323,504 bytes
Identifier undthes,5175
Source Original: University of Utah Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library (no longer available).
Funding/Fellowship Public Health Service Biological Chemistry Training Grant Gm-00152 to the Department of Biochemisry, University of Utah. This work was supported in part by grants GB-7875 and GB-20763 from the National Science Foundation to Dr. Richards and by a grant, GB-18375, from the U.S. Public Health Service to Dr. Wolstenholme.
Master File Extent 1,323,540 bytes
ARK ark:/87278/s6qf8vnd
Setname ir_etd
Date Created 2012-04-24
Date Modified 2021-05-06
ID 190670
Reference URL
Back to Search Results