Contents

Construction view of the Nevills Mexican Hat Lodge beside the San Juan River, opened in 1933.

Request archival file or update item information
Title Construction view of the Nevills Mexican Hat Lodge beside the San Juan River, opened in 1933.
Photo Number P0341n01_21_07
Description Photo shows the Nevills Mexican Hat Lodge under construction before opening in 1933
Keywords Lodges (public accommodations); Mexican Hat Lodge (Utah); Mexican Hat (Utah); Stone buildings; Building construction; Masonry; Nevills, William Eugene, d. 1941; Nevills, Doris Drown, 1914-1949; Men; Women; Trucks; Flatbed trucks; Cargo vehicles; General Motors trucks
Subject Mexican Hat Lodge (Utah)--Photographs; Hotels--Utah--Mexican Hat--Photographs; Tourist camps, hostels, etc.--Utah--Mexican Hat--Photographs; Stone buildings--Construction--Photographs
Additional Information William Nevills came to Mexican Hat in the 1920s to work in the San Juan oil field. His son Norman joined him in 1928. The oil boom didn't last and the family turned to other work to make a living. They turned their former oil camp into a tourist inn, and it eventually became the headquarters for Norm's river-running operation, Nevill Expeditions
Spatial Coverage Mexican Hat (Utah); San Juan County (Utah)
Latitude 37.15
Longitude -109.85
Collection Number and Name P0341 Norman D. and Doris Nevills Photograph Collection
Collection Name Norman D. and Doris Nevills
Date 1932; 1933
Textual Date ca. 1932-1933
Owning Institution Multimedia Archives, Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah
Donated By/Purchased From Gift of daughters Joan Nevills-Staveley and Sandra Nevills Reiff in 1988.
Rights http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type Image
Finding Aid http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm/ref/collection/UU_EAD/id/2508
ARK ark:/87278/s6dn4wnk
Setname uum_map_rr
Date Created 2018-05-31
Date Modified 2018-05-31
ID 1327424
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6dn4wnk
Back to Search Results