Arco/BORAX Mobile Substation [35]

Request archival file or update item information
Title Arco/BORAX Mobile Substation [35]
Photo Number P0206add2n01_15_018 trans
Description Scan of a transparency of the interior of a power plant. Caption on another copy of photo: "Interior view of Argonne National Laboratory's BORAX reactor building at the Atomic Energy Commission's National Reactor Testing Station. Reactor is located in a pit under lower platform; reactor control rod mechanism is located in vertical housing"
Keywords Rocky Mountian Power; Arco; Borax; Idaho; Personnel
Subject Boiling water reactors--Butte County--Idaho--Photographs; Argonne National Laboratory-West--Photographs; Idaho National Laboratory--Photographs
Additional Information Utah Power & Light Company, with a mobile substation, participated in the early experiments at the National Reactor Testing Station (today the Idaho National Laboratory). On December 20, 1951, the Experimental Breeder Reactor-1 produced the first electricity from a nuclear reaction. On July 17, 1955, the BORAX-III reactor provided electric lighting to the nearby town of Argo--the first community in the world ever to be lit by electricity generated by nuclear power.
Spatial Coverage Idaho National Laboratory; Butte County (Idaho)
Latitude 43.51798
Longitude -113.00946
Collection Number and Name P0206 Rocky Mountain Power Company Photograph Collection
Collection Name Rocky Mountain Power Company
Date 1950; 1951; 1952; 1953; 1954; 1955
Textual Date circa 1950-1955
Owning Institution Multimedia Archives, Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah
Rights http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/
Type Image
Digitization Specifications Digital image produced on Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner, RGB, at 2000dpi. Archival file is uncompressed TIFF.
ARK ark:/87278/s64752j2
Setname uum_map
Date Created 2013-02-07
Date Modified 2015-11-18
ID 985572
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s64752j2
Back to Search Results