Bushnell General Hospital, Brigham City, Utah, 1943.

Request archival file or update item information
Title Bushnell General Hospital, Brigham City, Utah, 1943.
Photo Number P0884n1_01_80
Description Photo of Bushnell General Hospital, Brigham City, Utah, in 1943.
Keywords World War II
Subject Military hospitals--Utah--Brigham City--Photographs
Additional Information Bushnell General Hospital was completed and its first patients admitted on 10 October 1942. of that same year. Patients were primarily sick and injured military personnel from Montana, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, and Arizona, in keeping with the government's policy of locating patients as close to home as medically feasible so that their families could more easily visit them. The medical staff specialized in orthopedic and neuro-psychiatric cases and in tropical diseases. It was the first military hospital to use penicillin, and the facility provided training for medical doctors being sent to the European and Pacific combat areas. Approximately 13,000 patients were treated during the hospital's life of less than four years. It closed in 1947, and in 1950 the facility became the Intermountain Indian School for Navajo students.
Spatial Coverage Brigham City (Utah); Box Elder County (Utah)
Collection Number and Name P0884 Wallace and Mary Doi Photograph Collection
Collection Name Wallace and Mary Doi
Date 1943
Textual Date 1943
Creator Unknown
Owning Institution Multimedia Archives, Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah
Original Source N/A
Donated By/Purchased From Loaned to the University of Utah for scanning by Mary Doi. (Via Lorraine Crouse)
Rights http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/
ARK ark:/87278/s64j11p1
Setname uum_map
Date Created 2002-12-17
Date Modified 2021-05-06
ID 950395
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s64j11p1
Back to Search Results