Evaluation of a fecal pancreatic elastase-1 enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay: assessment versus an established assay and implication in classifying pancreatic function

Update item information
Publication Type Manuscript
School or College School of Medicine
Department Pathology
Program ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology
Creator Erickson, J. Alan; Aldeen, William E.; Ashwood, Edward R.
Title Evaluation of a fecal pancreatic elastase-1 enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay: assessment versus an established assay and implication in classifying pancreatic function
Date 2005-09-25
Description Disagreement continues regarding the two commercially available fecal pancreatic elastase-1 (PE-1) ELISAs and their respective capabilities to assess pancreatic function. Our objectives were to validate the newer PE-1 ELISA and evaluate the test against the previously established assay, to investigate the PE-1 correlation with fecal fat, and examine the PE-1 result distribution of clinical specimens. Methods: The BioServ Diagnostics PE-1 ELISA was validated and performance characteristics compared to the previously validated ScheBo(R) Biotech PE-1 ELISA. A split sample study was accomplished using Deming regression and Bland-Altman plot analysis. Data mining was implemented to evaluate PE-1 and fecal fat correlation, and to explore PE-1 result distribution. Results: Regression analysis shows limited quantitative agreement; slope = 0.9640, intercept = 10.787, R2 = 0.633. The means were 228.8 and 226.2 μg PE-1/g stool for the BioServ and ScheBo assays respectively. Bland-Altman analysis indicated 91% of paired values within two standard deviations of their means (100% within 2.2 standard deviations). There was good qualitative agreement between assays with 91% of cases having equivalent pancreatic function classification. The remaining 9% varied by only one classification level with no bias towards either test evident. The distribution of typical clinical specimens for infants through young adults is dichotomous, with few subjects classified with moderate pancreatic insufficiency. There is minimal agreement between PE-1 and fecal fat. Conclusions: The BioServ Diagnostics PE-1 ELISA is an acceptable alternative to the ScheBo Biotech PE-1 ELISA. We also recommend that PE-1 replace fecal fat analysis for the evaluation of pancreatic function.
Type Text
Publisher Associated and Regional University Pathologists (ARUP) Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology
Subject PE-1; pancreatic elastase-1; FDA; AMR; analytical measurement range; BioServ Diagnostics PE-1ELISA; ScheBo Biotech PE-1ELISA
Subject MESH Pancreatic Elastase; Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay; United States Food and Drug Administration
Language eng
Rights Management http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/
Format Medium application/pdf
Format Extent 359317 bytes
Identifier ir-main,185
ARK ark:/87278/s6kh15vm
Setname ir_uspace
Date Created 2012-06-13
Date Modified 2020-10-05
ID 706140
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6kh15vm
Back to Search Results