Improved Prognostic Testing for Patients with Triple Negative Breast Cancer

Update item information
Identifier improved_prognostic_testing_for_patients_with_triple_negative_breast_cancer
Title Improved Prognostic Testing for Patients with Triple Negative Breast Cancer
Creator Varley, K.E.; Huntsman Cancer Institute and Department of Oncological Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Utah Health
Subject Diffusion of Innovation; Triple Negative Breast Neoplasms; Prognosis; Kaplan-Meier Estimate; Biomarkers; Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay; Sensitivity and Specificity; Precision Medicine; Disease-Free Survival; Knowledge Discovery
Keyword Cancer
Image Caption Kaplan-Meier curve that stratifies patients in the training set based on the Immune Activation Score threshold that provides 95% specificity.
Description Approximately 40% of patients with stage I-III triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) have recurrences after standard treatment, whereas the remaining 60% experience long-term disease-free survival. However, there are currently no clinical tests to assess the risk of recurrence in TNBC patients. To address this issue, Varley and colleagues developed a multigene MHCII Immune Activation Assay to allow clinical testing for the prognosis of recurrence of triple-negative breast cancer patients. This assay identifies TNBC patients with a low risk of recurrence whose tumors express factors like MHC II pathway components, which promote immune infiltration and responses that reduce relapse and enhance survival. This work addressed a critical need for prognostic biomarker tests that enable precision medicine for TNBC patients.
Relation is Part of 50 Basic Science Discoveries in 5 Years- 2019
Publisher Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library, University of Utah
Date Digital 2020
Date 2019
Type Image
Format image/jpeg
Rights Management Copyright © 2020, University of Utah, All Rights Reserved
Language eng
ARK ark:/87278/s62v8553
References 1.) Expression of the MHC class II pathway in triple-negative breast cancer tumor cells is associated with a good prognosis and infiltrating lymphocytes. Forero A, Li Y, Chen D, Grizzle WE, Updike KL, Merz ND, Downs-Kelly E, Burwell TC, Vaklavas C, Buchsbaum DJ, Myers RM, LoBuglio AF, Varley KE. Cancer Immunol Res. 2016 May;4(5):390. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26980599/ 2.) A multigene assay determines risk of recurrence in patients with triple-negative breast cancer. Stewart RL, Updike KL, Factor RE, Henry NL, Boucher KM, Bernard PS, Varley KE. Cancer Res. 2019 Jul;79(13):3466. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31048497/
Press Releases and Media Determining Risk of Recurrence in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer https://healthcare.utah.edu/huntsmancancerinstitute/news/2019/06/determining-risk-of-recurrence-in-triple-negative-breast-cancer.php
Setname ehsl_50disc
Date Created 2020-08-13
Date Modified 2020-11-17
ID 1589362
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s62v8553