Periodicals; Mormons; Religious thought; Philosophy and religion
Independent national quarterly established to express Mormon culture and examine the relevance of religion to secular life. It is edited by Mormons who wish to bring their faith into dialogue with human experience as a whole and to foster artistic and scholarly achievement based on their cultural heritage. The journal encourages a variety of viewpoints; although every effort is made to insure accurate scholarship and responsible judgment, the views expressed are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of the Mormon Church or of the editors.
Dialogue Foundation, P.O. Box 658, Salt Lake City, Utah 84110-0658
Backstage Library Works - 1180 S. 800 E. Orem, UT 84097
Bradley, Martha Sonntag ; Roberts, Allen Dale
Pages scanned at 400ppi on Fujitsu fi-5650C sheetfed scanner as 8-bit grayscale or 24-bit RGB uncompressed TIFF images. Images resized to 950 pixels wide, 150 dpi, and saved as JPEG (level 8) in PhotoShop CS with Unsharp Mask of 100/.3.
Digital image, copyright 2004, Dialogue Foundation. All rights reserved.
Dialogue: Vol 30 No 3
Building Wilkinson's University
Building Wilkinson's University Gary James Bergera No one who accepts the Restored Gospel will question the prophecies of the Prophet of the Lord that this will become the greatest University in the world... —Ernest L. Wilkinson, 19541 During his twenty years from 1951 to 1971 as seventh president of BYU, Ernest L. Wilkinson molded the lackluster Provo school into a showplace of LDS educational values. "More than any other single cause," his successor observed, "[Wilkinson's] remarkable and relentless leadership ... is the key to the present stature of Brigham Young University."2 Under the scrappy Wilkinson's guidance, the student body grew five-fold to more than 25,000, the number of full-time faculty tripled to over 900, the number of faculty holding Ph.D.s jumped 900 percent to 500, faculty salaries more than doubled to an average of nearly $9,000 a year, the number of undergraduate colleges nearly tripled, the number of academic departments doubled, the first of some twenty doctoral programs was inaugurated, library holdings rose nearly 500 percent, use of the library climbed ten-fold, the physical size of the campus more than doubled, the number of buildings grew more than twenty-fold, and the amount of floor space increased 500 percent—with a total of over $143 million invested in land, permanent structures, and landscaping. And as the most tangible manifestation of the church's commitment to Wilkinson's university, annual church appropriations rose twenty-one-fold, from $1 million to $22 million, annual expenditures soared thirty-fold, from $2 million to $65 mil- 1. Wilkinson, "Address to the BYU Faculty at a Workshop Preceding the Opening of the 1954-55 School Year," 17 Sept. 1954,17, University Archives, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, hereafter BYU archives. 2. Dallin H. Oaks, quoted in "A Final Tribute: The Wilkinson Era Comes to an End," BYU Today, May 1978,15.