Page 20

Download File
Title Volume 14, Number 1, Spring 1981
Subject Periodicals; Mormons; Religious thought; Philosophy and religion
Description Independent national quarterly established to express Mormon culture and examine the relevance of religion to secular life. It is edited by Mormons who wish to bring their faith into dialogue with human experience as a whole and to foster artistic and scholarly achievement based on their cultural heritage. The journal encourages a variety of viewpoints; although every effort is made to insure accurate scholarship and responsible judgment, the views expressed are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of the Mormon Church or of the editors.
Website http://dialoguejournal.com
Publisher Dialogue Foundation, 4012 N. 27th St., Arlington, VA 22207
Scanning Vendor Backstage Library Works - 1180 S. 800 E. Orem, UT 84097
Contributors Bradford, Mary Lythgoe
Date 1981
Type Text
Digitization Specifications Pages scanned at 400ppi on Fujitsu fi-5650C sheetfed scanner as 8-bit grayscale or 24-bit RGB uncompressed TIFF images. Images resized to 950 pixels wide, 150 dpi, and saved as JPEG (level 8) in PhotoShop CS with Unsharp Mask of 100/.3.
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image, copyright 2004, Dialogue Foundation. All rights reserved.
ARK ark:/87278/s6g73dmf
ID 153449
setname uu_djmt
CONTENTdm URL http://cdmbuntu.lib.utah.edu/cdm/ref/collection/dialogue/id/7329

Page Metadata

Title Page 20
Identifier V14N01-1716_Page 20.jpg
Source Dialogue: Vol 14 No 1
Article Title The Cloning of Mormon Architecture
Description THE CLONING OF MORMON ARCHITECTURE Martha Sonntag Bradley Though Brigham Youngs sermons were often full of exaggerations, he was right on the mark when he said, To accomplish this work there will have to be not only one temple but thousands of them, and thousands of ten thousands of men and women will go into those temples and officiate.1 Brigham clearly envisioned the 6,500 church buildings the Latter-day Saints would have erected by 1980. The architectural history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reflects an industrious, proud and diversified tradition in style, technology and objective. Mormon architecture, always responsive to the changing environment, has expressed changes in church membership, tastes, philosophy and the organizational structure of the Church itself. Historically, Latter-day Saints have had three distinct forms of ecclesiastical architecture: the temple, the tabernacle and the ward meetinghouse. In the nineteenth century, these three types were clearly distinguishable in size, style and function. In the mid-twentieth century, however, when tabernacles were no longer built by the Church, temples and ward meetinghouses drew closer in style and character. Even in pioneer times, Mormon architecture expressed little that was truly indigenous. Most styles and forms, like the castellated Gothic style of the Salt Lake Temple, were adapted from other historical periods and applied to Mormon culture. The period beginning in 1920 became identified with a growing conservatism and historicity in architectural attitudes and practice, Martha Sonntag Bradley is currently completing her master's thesis at BYU. She presented this paper at the Mosaic of Mormon Culture Sesquicentennial Symposium 1980 at BYU. 20
Creator Bradley, Martha Sonntag
Format image/jpeg
ID 153338
setname uu_djmt
CONTENTdm URL http://cdmbuntu.lib.utah.edu/cdm/ref/collection/dialogue/id/7218