Temple Bnai Israel [1]

Request archival file or update item information
Title Temple Bnai Israel [1]
Creator Rockwell, Kenneth W.
Date 2018-05-19
Spatial Coverage 40.763761, -111.879183
Subject Synagogues--Utah--Salt Lake City--Photographs; Commercial buildings--Utah--Salt Lake City--Photographs
Description Address: 249 South 4th East, Salt Lake City. The Jewish community organized their first congregation, B'nai Israel, in 1881, and dedicated the synagogue in 1891. It replaced their first synagogue, which was located west of Main Street. The new structure, modeled after a major synagogue in Berlin, Germany, was renovated and reconsecrated in 1929. It remained in use until 1976. In 1972, the merging of the city's two synagogues as Congregation Kol Ami prefigured the erection of a new synagogue in the southeast corner of the city. (TEMF 17-19). The old B'nai Israel synagogue now houses Henriksen Butler, an office landscaping buisiness.
Type Image
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
Relation History: http://www.jmaw.org/synagogues-salt-lake-city/ ; Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%27nai_Israel_Temple_(Salt_Lake_City) ; Link to historical photo held by the Marriott Library: https://collections.lib.utah.edu/details?id=965186
Metadata Cataloger Ken Rockwell
ARK ark:/87278/s64b77kc
Setname uum_slcrap
Date Created 2018-09-11
Date Modified 2018-09-11
ID 1368007
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s64b77kc
Back to Search Results