Contents

Entrance facade of the Nevills Mexican Hat Lodge beside the San Juan River, opened in 1933.

Request archival file or update item information
Title Entrance facade of the Nevills Mexican Hat Lodge beside the San Juan River, opened in 1933.
Photo Number P0341n01_21_09
Description Photo shows the Mexican Hat Lodge (opened 1933 by William and Norman Nevills) at Mexican Hat, San Juan County, Utah. Caption on back of photograph: "To Mrs. Nevills, George and Anita Sherwood - Mar. 1936"
Keywords Lodges (public accommodations); Mexican Hat Lodge (Utah); Mexican Hat (Utah); Stone buildings; Masonry; Entrances; Automobiles
Subject Mexican Hat Lodge (Utah)--Photographs; Hotels--Utah--Mexican Hat--Photographs; Tourist camps, hostels, etc.--Utah--Mexican Hat--Photographs; Stone buildings--Construction--Photographs
Additional Information William Nevills came to Mexican Hat in the 1920s to work in the San Juan oil field. His son Norman joined him in 1928. The oil boom didn't last and the family turned to other work to make a living. They turned their former oil camp into a tourist inn, and it eventually became the headquarters for Norm's river-running operation, Nevill Expeditions
Spatial Coverage Mexican Hat (Utah); San Juan County (Utah)
Latitude 37.15
Longitude -109.85
Collection Number and Name P0341 Norman D. and Doris Nevills Photograph Collection
Collection Name Norman D. and Doris Nevills
Date 1936-03
Textual Date March 1936
Owning Institution Multimedia Archives, Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah
Donated By/Purchased From Gift of daughters Joan Nevills-Staveley and Sandra Nevills Reiff in 1988.
Rights http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type Image
Finding Aid http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm/ref/collection/UU_EAD/id/2508
ARK ark:/87278/s6s18t1d
Setname uum_map_rr
Date Created 2018-05-31
Date Modified 2018-05-31
ID 1327430
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6s18t1d
Back to Search Results